A new entry and exhibition space connect a national register 1890s post office with a 1939 planetarium, highlighting the two historic stone landmarks with a contrasting steel and glass-framed space. The adaptive reuse and addition support interactive exploration and set a new standard for children’s museums. A fluttering sunshade moves in the wind, shades the glass, and signifies a place of discovery. When completed, the Museum was the largest LEED Silver museum in the country and the first for children, featuring adaptive reuse, recycled materials, and passive shading. Today, the Museum continues to contribute to its sustained social change in a low income, underserved neighborhood.