Designed by San Antonio architect Otto Kramer and built in 1894, the Pearl Stable housed roughly 70 draft horses that pulled the Pearl Brewery's beer wagons. Within two decades the automobile made them obsolete, and the intricate brick and stone building began the first of many reinventions — from stable to storage.
Midcentury brought bigger changes. The front pediment and cupola came down in the 1940s; in 1950 the hay-storage second floor was removed and the open volume became an event venue, The Pearl Corral. Buck Winn's 290-foot mural, "The History of Ranching," wrapped the interior in chuck wagons, cattle branding, and bronco riding, while the lobby became "The Safari Room," displaying taxidermy from brewery president Otto Koehler's expeditions. The Corral closed in 1968. In 1971 the building reopened as Jersey Lilly — red flocked wallpaper, brass chandeliers — lasting until new ownership arrived in 2002.
Today the 128-year-old structure enters its newest life as Stable Hall, a premier music venue that treats its layered past as material rather than obstacle. Hammered limestone, plaster, and original brick greet patrons in the lobby, where columns and chandeliers from earlier renovations remain in place. In the performance hall, forest green walls, velvet curtains, hand-painted murals, and brass accents create an intimate room for artists like Killer Queen and San Antonio's own Rosie Flores. Overhead, the original radially laid wood ceiling testifies to 1890s craftsmanship, and upper-level lounges still carry the name "hay lofts."
One of San Antonio's oldest buildings still has new work to do.
Photography: Korta Photography