Since 1997, Olson Kundig has worked with St. Mark’s Cathedral to expand, remodel and preserve their church located in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood. Originally constructed in 1928, the cathedral remained only partially complete for decades as it underwent a series of gradual updates. The most recent improvements, particularly to the exterior, bring the cathedral to completion, lending a sense of visual unity and cohesion that embodies St. Mark’s mission of community service and accessibility.
Improvements such as new windows and updates to the building envelope helped to increase the building’s energy efficiency and mitigate noise transfer from outside. A revised entry terrace and a new elevator now mean that St. Mark’s is completely accessible by all community members. Exterior updates including new Indiana limestone cladding match the original façade materials and complete the original design intent. A new Gaelic cross above the east entrance mirrors the interior glass altar screen, or reredos, which was designed by Olson Kundig in collaboration with artist Ed Carpenter in 1997. These modifications, along with an expansion of the entry terrace, provide a more permanent and welcoming identity for St. Mark’s, preserving the cathedral for generations to come.
Project Team: Tom Kundig, FAIA, RIBA, Design Principal; Jim Olson, FAIA, Design Principal; Kevin Kudo-King, AIA, LEED® AP, Design Principal; Stephen Yamada-Heidner, AIA, LEED® AP, Principal; Olivier Landa, AIA, LEED® AP BD+C, Project Manager; Alivia Owens, LEED® AP, Project Architect; Hayden Robinson, Architectural Staff