This complete reworking of the historic Mamaroneck Library is helping the Village of Mamaroneck meet its 21st century goals while honoring and strengthening the town’s historic character. The Library is no stranger to growth – its original 1927 Classical Revival building has been expanded twice to meet past programmatic needs. Further growth and advances in library technologies necessitated a third upgrade and extensive renovation of the existing facilities.
More than just an addition, this 13,000 square foot expansion knits together the Library’s disparate parts into a new coherent whole, while signaling to the town that civic services are relevant in this age of personal laptops and e-books. The new facility demonstrates its commitment to environmental leadership by incorporating energy efficient building systems, a green roof, sustainable materials and abundant natural light—all elements that help the Library to achieve its LEED Gold certification.
BKSK’s design weaves together the Library’s old and new architecture through a reinterpretation of its historic details, like the entry colonnade and the material palette of stone and white trim. The new architecture complements the Library’s older buildings while also providing a new distinctly modern face for the institution. The new addition houses the children’s wing, a dedicated teen center, expanded public computer space, enlarged community meeting facilities and a coffee bar and outdoor terrace meets current and future needs of the Library patrons. A highlight of the project is the restoration of the Library’s original Reading Room in the 1927 section.