This extensive renovation transforms a landmark five-story structure into the new home that supports the Vilcek Foundation’s mission to “raise awareness of immigrant contributions in America and foster appreciation of the arts and sciences.
The exterior renovation unites the original 1919 building and its mid-1960’s modifications into a cohesive composition distinguished by refined proportions, materials and details. Within, a new stair and elevator maximize usable space within the building.
A high level of finish throughout the project further demonstrates the Foundation’s commitment to quality for visitors and staff. Details and materials enhance the sense of openness and light throughout the building: new bronze entry grilles and the gallery stair railing filter views, while colored plaster and wood-paneled walls exude warmth.