The O’Connell Companies corporate offices and those of three subsidiaries have been relocated under one roof in a dynamic new headquarters building situated on a beautiful natural setting on the southern edge of Holyoke, Mass. It will allow employees of the interrelated companies to interact, communicate and collaborate in ways that were impossible in the company’s original setting, which dated to 1879.
The 30,000-sf facility on seven wooded acres accommodates the original Daniel O’Connell’s Sons, the construction management and general contracting company, as well as O’Connell Development Group, and Appleton Property Management. The companies were brought under the umbrella of O’Connell Companies in 1979. The new headquarters anticipates future growth and was designed for functionality as well as to enhance company culture.
Gone is the maze of small spaces in the original office building. The new setting abuts a wooded reservoir and is set on a sloping site. Designers used the shape of the site to organize the geometry of the plan and form of the building.
Generous glazing allows an abundance of light, views to the outside, and reflections of the natural surroundings. The interior promotes collaboration and synergy with an intersection of common spaces under a central atrium. The two-story office space includes a combination of open and private work areas, informal meeting areas and as well as a work café. Glazing at all office fronts promotes transparency and a connection to the exterior. The total affect is one of permanence worthy of this respected company’s 100+-year history.