The former Centre Theater at 10 East North Avenue is being redeveloped into a mixed-use commercial space. A key addition to the Station North Arts & Entertainment district, the flexible building design will accomodate a variety of tenants, including the Maryland Institute College of Art and Johns Hopkins University.
The historic building was constructed in 1913 as a two-story automobile dealership and was converted into a theater and radio studio in the 1930’s. It opened its doors as the Centre Theater in 1939, welcoming guests into a 1,000-seat auditorium. The building was also home to the WFBR-AM radio station. The building was adapted into a bank after the theater’s closure in 1959. In its last transformation for use as a church and offices, the theater interior was removed and filled in by three new structural floors, accompanied by new stairs and elevators. The building has been abandoned for several years, and is currently in a state of disrepair.
The project was awarded $3 million in Maryland Sustainable Communities Tax Credits as a result of the goal to restore the building envelope and structure per State and Federal historic preservation guidelines and meet Baltimore City Green Building Standards. The two outward facing facades on North Avenue and 20th Street will be restored, as well as the original theater marquee. New windows and roofs will be installed alongside energy-efficient building envelope improvements. A new building core with stairs and elevators creates efficient and flexible tenant space.
Current plans for the 73,000 sf building include spaces for film screenings, music venues, artists’ studios, galleries, a playhouse and a restaurant.