Satish Jassal Architects was shortlisted for a masterplan for Tank Hill, Thurrock. Our intention for Tank Hill was to create a successful place; successful places are inherently sustainable as they have longevity, accommodate higher densities and adapt to change. At Satish Jassal Architects, we believe that well-defined public spaces contribute greatly to successful places. Public spaces determine the character of a place; buildings should be varied in type and height and enclose the public spaces. A good place has a network of legible connections which in turn connect back to the established wider routes.
Our concept for Tank Hill creates a successful place by incorporating the following points.
- A masterplan ordered by two well defined public garden squares.
- A mixture of homes, which range from 1, 2, & 3 bedroom apartments and 3 & 4 bedroom townhouses.
- A combination of housing types to create diversity, such as stepped terraces overlooking the Mar Dyke watercourse. There are also linear buildings with higher defined corners and a single tall marker building for the site.
- A mixture of building heights to relate to the views and surrounding existing buildings.
- Pulling in natural landscape and biodiversity of the Mar Dyke watercourse.
- Creating a primary North East to South West axis, and a North-South Axis to the Mar Dyke watercourse.
- A quality public realm is proposed with a network of trees helping to define key entrance and corners.
- A masterplan containing 172 apartments, 28 houses and 5,500sqm of amenity space.