Mellon Hall and the Francis Scott Key Auditorium are located on the lower campus of St. John's College in historic Annapolis. The building serves as the main classroom facility on campus, and includes Science Laboratories, Art Studios, Tutor (faculty) offices and a 600-seat Auditorium.Ziger/Snead guided the Campus Building Committee through a detailed building analysis and master planning effort. A complete renovation of the existing complex was design including a new three-story classroom and Tutor Office addition and a one-story cafe addition set in the existing courtyard.The original modernist structure was design by Richard Neutra, a prominent California architect. Construction was completed in the fall of 1958. The mass and detail of the building was design to engage the surrounding landscape and blur the distinction between the natural and building environment. An addition completed in 1988 closed off the courtyard from campus and provided space for an Art Gallery and Administration offices.Ziger/Snead's challenge in designing the additions and renovation improvements was to reconnect and reinforce the original concept for the building and site. The architectural language of the new addition will utilize materials similar to the existing building put together in an innovative way to make it compatible with Neutra's original modernist language.A complete replacement of the mechanical ventilation system and electrical service to the building was also incorporated in the project.