The Harvard Club of New York on 44th Street was among Manhattan’s first buildings to be designated a landmark, receiving the status in 1967. Major additions in 1905 and 1915 by McKim Mead & White and again in 1947 sought to meet the growing needs of the membership. Since its last addition, the Harvard Club continued to outgrow its facility, which includes dining and meeting rooms, guest bedrooms, athletic facilities, administrative offices, as well as a library, a bar and lounges. The major challenge of this project was to reconcile the existing building’s red brick neo-Georgian style with a modernist addition. The design mediates between the existing Harvard Club to the east and the robust limestone and glass Beaux-Arts landmark New York Yacht Club to the west, bringing forth a style that documents the Club’s continuity into the next century. The new expansion bridges the old with the new, and is sympathetic to its landmark neighbors. The addition is eight stories, keeping to the scale of the existing building, and includes a new entrance. With the new construction, parts of the original clubhouse were renovated. The two buildings are connected at various levels, providing an opportunity to improve circulation. Among the additions are guest bedrooms, two new international squash courts and exercise areas, more banquet and meeting rooms, a multi-media room, consolidated administrative areas, and a new lobby for guests with two new elevators.