Splendid and grandiose building in Praça de Elvas located on a large rise to the North. Notable example of 19th century military architecture. XVIII and considered by many historians as one of the most powerful bastioned fortresses in the world, the Forte da Graça or Lippe is still original for its conception and implantation.
This loading has always been quite important: even in the 19th century. In the 15th century, the small hermitage of Santa Maria da Graça is located here, whose reconstruction at the time was due to the great-grandmother of Vasco da Gama; in the War of Restoration, in 1658, the Spaniards built a redoubt here to attack the city of Elvas. The building of the fortification would begin in 1763 by Wilhelm, Count of Schaumbourg-Lippe, commissioned by King D. José to reorganize the Portuguese army. Engineer Éttiene was chosen to direct the work, who was shortly afterwards replaced by Colonel Guillaume Louis Antoine de Valleré. The definitive works would only end in 1792.
Comprising three bodies, the exterior works, the main body and the central redoubt, Forte da Graça is an example of Vauban type military architecture. The central body is made up of four bastions, with the phenomenally beautiful main door in the middle of the southern curtain. In 1856 the war was already taking other paths and in this space a correction company was created and in 1894 a disciplinary deposit where several political prisoners were waiting from the 1st Republic until 1974.
The monument was subject to intervention over the course of 11 months, having been inaugurated on November 27, 2015. This intervention resulted in the recovery of the governor's house, the highest point of the fort, the officers' houses and other architectural elements , having also replaced all the original colors and materials of the Fort and recovered the structures, namely the cistern, the prison, the shooting galleries and the chapel, where frescoes from the 19th century were discovered, which were also the target of intervention.