Buckminster Hall is a Georgian Revival house (c. 1925) that has been converted to a private gymnasium and clubhouse. The house had been ravaged by fire, and initial demolition left only the original masonry shell intact. The two and a half story main building now houses a single gymnasium space, while a smaller adjoining building has become a clubhouse with game room and associated exercise spaces.
A new structural steel frame and roof trusses were constructed within the masonry shell to support the single volume of the gymnasium. While the interior of the original house was radically transformed to accommodate its new use, the historic exterior was meticulously restored, satisfying the divergent requirements of the owner and neighborhood historic commission.
The exterior walls and original windows remain intact behind an interior layer of wood panels and translucent glass, bringing daylight to the new space in unexpected ways. The two and a half acre grounds were regraded and landscaped to accommodate playing fields, a batting cage, and a tennis court.