Built in 1853, on the site of a stable in a vernacular Greek Revival style, 130 Charles Street was always a modest house in the heart of the bustling dockside of Greenwich Village. The house's broad four bay front belies it's shallow depth and rhomboid shape in plan. For most of its history the house was a multi occupancy building either as a rooming house or as tiny studio apartments, in the 1980's it was converted into a single family home.The condition of the house when MO'R started design work in 2006 was pretty dire; shabby on the outside and inside a warren of small rooms with sloping floors and an almost negligible historic detail. With bubble stucco walls and cheap dark stained trims it felt more like a South Western restaurant than a Town House. However, the house's shallow footprint and North facing facade meant that it always had almost magical diffuse light on a sunny day.