Watch the Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051iTAMCa5wRelocating the Kansas City Ballet (KCB) involved preservation and adaptive reuse of the 52,000sf historic Power House at Kansas City's Union Station, a former coal-burning plant completed in 1914. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004, the building sat abandoned from the 1970s until 2006. Transforming the Power House was a monumental task. Anyone entering the Power House was immediately struck by the massive amounts of steel framing used to support the functional elements of the building's original purpose--heavy boilers, turbine generators and coal bunkers--set against a backdrop of soaring ceilings and remnants of the plant's operational mechanisms and simple efficiency. The project team had the daunting task of turning generator rooms into dance studios, coal bunkers into dressing rooms, and fire pits into useable space, while adhering to The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. The Power House had suffered severe deterioration, however. Over time, chemicals and heat from the coal-burning process followed by years of exposure to harsh elements had slowly eaten away at the building. Rehabilitation of the building included reinforcement to the building's structural elements, replacement of concrete, a new roof, and major repairs to masonry, terra cotta detailing and fenestration. Today, the Bolender Center serves as a home for KCB, a community events venue, and a strong hub for performing arts in the Midwest."