unknown, 1996-98 AccuSoft Inc., All rights reserved
Metropolitan Museum of Art's complete expansion and renovation has taken over twenty six years of continuous work to realize and has involved over 1,OOO,OOO square feet. Master planning for the Museum, which began in 1967, involved extensive review of existing conditions and the development of a comprehensive plan for its completion. All of this had to be done while respecting a magnificent existing structure and keeping the unaffected sections open for normal use. The Museum had originally been thought of as a Building in the Park with its entrances on the Park side. In 1903, Richard Morris Hunt reoriented the Museum onto Fifth Avenue. Subsequent additions by McKim, Mead and White completed the Fifth Avenue facade. Rather than carry that formal architecture into the Park, the master plan creates a building more like the kind one would expect to find in a park, such as a greenhouse in a botanical garden. The master plan responds to the needs of the Museum by creating an urban plaza with its grand stair providing a formal entrance to the restored Great Hall and for large galleries by adding the Sackler Wing for the Temple of Dendur to the north, and the Michael C. Rockefeller Wing to the south. The adjacent corners are completed by the respective additions of the new American Wing and the Wallace Galleries. The areas between these wings and the existing Museum are left as sky lit courts; the American Wing Garden Court with its restored 1822 Assay Office Building façade on the north and on the south, the European Garden Sculpture Court that preserves the restored 1888 facade. Master planning, design and construction documents for a series of fast track bid packages were completed as scheduled.