The upgrade for the Stapleton Branch of the New York Public Library included renovating the original, landmarked Carnegie Library (1907) – now a Children’s Room – and the addition of a 7,000 SF, glass-enclosed extension for their adult and young-adult collections. The improved and expanded library's lighting design is recognized with an IALD Award and an IES Illumination Award.
Despite strict municipal guidelines that dictated minimal lamp choices, energy usage and illumination levels, the lighting for this library addition belies these constraints. Using a standard T5 lamp in a variety of fixtures and in different ways, the designers created lighting that blends with and reinforces the architecture. Most important, this diffuse source is tamed to create a hierarchy of lighting that shapes the space, highlighting some areas and softening others. The result is a design that provides comfort and interest to its users – at 25% below the energy allowance.