Originally designed in 1923 as a 3,000-seat cinema, the Shepherds Bush Pavilion has been painstakingly transformed by Flanagan Lawrence into a stylish 320-room boutique hotel in London.
The proposal to convert this dilapidated building presented an ideal opportunity to give a much loved but neglected building a new lease on life while revitalizing and securing the retention of this important heritage asset and landmark in West London.
The scheme retains the original brick façade, with minor alterations to ensure natural light within the hotel rooms behind. The use of glazed ‘shingles’ that follow the curved profile of the roof allows light to enter the upper floors of the scheme, which previously would have been unusable space.
The overall scheme is a composition of hierarchy between old and new, both in the façades, but also in the contrast between the inside and outside.