Located in the centre of the Pollock Halls Campus, The John McIntyre Centre provides meals for approximately 1900 students who reside in the campus’ halls of residence. A new hall of residence has increased the number of students who will need to be catered for to over 2000. In the summer months those numbers further increase to 2500 when the campus opens to visitors and conferences.The project brief therefore requested an additional 150 covers, improved user flow and a new 350 seat conference room and facilities for the University’s successful and expanding conference business. The existing John McIntyre Centre is a two-storey building constructed in the 1960s as part of a major development of the whole campus to meet the needs of the 1970 Commonwealth Games. The existing ground floor refectory and servery have been refurbished and the enlarged facility provides for separate entrances for the residents and for conference users. A food court has been provided and the seating layout for the refectory made less formal and the space more flexible. Part of that flexibility revolves around the bar, relocated from the first floor, which can expand if required into part of the enlarged refectory and will be available for all customers.The new conference room is multi-purpose and can be divided into two rooms equipped with state of the art communication, a/v and control systems. Alongside sit two small meeting rooms all linked by a glazed breakout area forming the link across a roof terrace to the existing 5 conference rooms and reception/bar at the centre of the enlarged complex.