This project involved the adaptive reuse of the 1858-59 First Reformed Church of Jamaica—a state, national and New York City-designated historic landmark—to a performing arts center serving Jamaica’s ethnically and culturally diverse communities. WASA/Studio A, as consultant to the NYC Department of Design and Construction, developed a plan to create a state-of-the-art performance space while preserving the historic character of the building. The adaptive reuse involved transforming the church into a flexible theater space, with about 325 seats on the main level and 75 seats in the balcony. The main level is designed as a totally flexible theater, equipped to house a variety of seating and stage configurations and, in addition, to accommodate banquet facilities. The third floor features a state-of-the-art conference center for community use, complete with a direct line of sight to the stage. WASA/Studio A’s design restored the building façade and windows—including three stained-glass windows facing Jamaica Avenue—while salvaging other deteriorated stained glass panels. The church’s remaining windows were returned to their original design—a diamond pattern outlined by slender lead cames.