Originally constructed in 1885, the Petersen-Berfeld building is one of the Napa Valley’s best-known “ghost wineries,” pre-prohibition wineries that remain as vestiges of wine country history. After Prohibition, it was revived as an early precursor to today’s “custom crush concept. However, by 2003, the winery was in a state of extreme disrepair, completely encapsulated in a derelict warehouse structure. Undaunted, our client asked us to bring it back to life as an integral part of the Hall Wines campus.
Although the building’s condition dictated that only key historic elements could be salvaged and preserved, we meticulously rebuilt it with modern materials and methods to match the original. Since no original drawings remained, we worked from period photographs. The historic stone base remains intact, but the barn-like structure above was newly constructed by local artisans, stained by hand to look as if it had always been there. Used for special events, the landmark building establishes a centerpiece for the campus, honors the heritage of the property and provides a counterpoint for the adjacent winery building.
The upper floor is now an open event venue, with soaring ceilings and walls of tongue and groove Douglas Fir. We saved the original floor had it carefully cleaned and restored to retain its patina of age. The original portal, which at one time received grapes, is now an expansive window with panoramic views of vineyards in the foreground and the Mayacamas Mountains in the distance. A matching window on the opposite wall creates a through view, and a sense of scale much larger than the actual footprint. Huge barn doors slide open or closed across the expanses of glass. On the ground level, we pushed the barrel storage to the outer edges of the room to accommodate an oversized harvest table, used for special group tastings.
Design: Jarrod Denton while at Lail Design Group Photography: Adrian Gregoretti and Tubay Yabut Builder: Frank Borges Jr. Construction Interior Design: Nicole Hollis