"The goal was to transform the lobby and corridor back to its original condition while adapting it to today's programmatic needs.
This 24,000 SF International Style concrete and glass structure was completed in 1959. Over the years, many inappropriate 'add-ons' were inflicted upon the interior of the building. Among these included the haphazard construction of make-shift gypsum board offices within the main lobby; stringing of random wire on the natural cherry panels lining the public spaces; mounting of electrical conduit on the panels and the underside of the sculptural concrete roof that doubles as the rhythmically undulating ceiling. Original wood parquet flooring had been removed and replaced with a bland vinyl composition tile. The continuous clerestory of glass above the cherry panels originally allowed one to sense the continuous concrete canopy above - Boxes and equipment piled on lower height ceilings blocked its view.
The transformation began with the removal of the shanty-like offices. What was originally a large reception desk (in the 1959 version) became a coffee bar and kitchenette. The VCT flooring was replaced with a sustainable cork tile that has the same natural qualities of natural hues, color variation and tonality as the original wood parquet flooring. Damaged or missing cherry panels were painstakingly replaced and finished to match the existing originals. In the central lobby, directly below the diamond shaped skylights, a seating area was created with fixed benches constructed of the same cherry plywood as the wall panels in a style appropriate to the original building. Mid-century furnishings are used in the seating area opposite the benches.
With the public spaces restored to their original splendor, it now serves as a much needed social space / gathering hub and what was originally a stopping point is now a destination place for visitors and occupants alike."