This small project has transformed an historic water treatment building into a community resource. The Visitor and Volunteer Center is a new headquarters for the Emerald Necklace Conservancy, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting, restoring, maintaining and promoting six historic parks and waterways.
The building was designed in 1882 by Frederick Law Olmsted and H.H. Richardson to mitigate flooding problems from storm-water runoff and sewage outflow from nearby waterways. The design provides an accessible entry and an interior which is both a workplace and greeting / meeting space. The entry foyer provides information for park visitors, interactive exhibits, and interpretive displays. It is a transformable interior, ready for a variety of activities and settings, all organized within 1,400 sf.