Context/Program- An existing inherited 1940's "Kit" Cottage House with a 1970's big room addition on an inland site on Shelter Island, to renovate the existing house and double its size to 2,500 sf with a master bedroom wing and to provide an outdoor space around a new swimming pool.
The historical evolution of the property is encoded in the architecture. The original cottage was opened up vertically and clad with painted pine. It now contains the open kitchen, dining area, and guest room. The 1970's addition introduces a plaster painted wall but retains the painted pine open ceiling and becomes the main living space with a new entrance space. The bedroom wing and arbor help to frame the outdoor deck with swimming pool.