Responsible for the planning, design and building of an 85-acre, 1.3-mile world-class, self-sustaining park, the BBP’s mission is to reconnect the citizens of Brooklyn to their waterfront. Abandoned piers will be replaced, parking lots and storage sheds will be equip with opportunities to play sports, and people will be able to stroll or lounge at the water’s edge. To be closer to its charge, the BBP relocated its administrative offices from Manhattan to an existing disused building on the parameter of the Park.
Built in 1917, the three story building is a concrete frame structure with brick that was salvaged from adjacent grain silos. The building was originally owned by the New York Dock Company which owned and managed over 40 piers and approximately 150 stores and warehouses, making it one of the largest private freight terminals in the world. The building acts as the southern gateway to the Park and is a place for gathering and learning; a place to re-introduce people to our lost shorelines and their vital ecologies. The space also houses various park maintenance and security functions as well as the offices of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy.
Spacesmith began the renovation by gutting the interior to expose the original structure and opening up the building’s corner, creating a glass entrance to allow natural light in, as well as peak the public’s interest. To retain the integrity of the space, the workspaces are loft-like with exposed columns, high ceilings and concrete floors. Original glass block windows were kept intact as the project sought to reuse as much material as possible. Colorful images of the Park are featured throughout the space to inspire its employees and visitors. The project includes a learning center for educational and public use.