The High Line Building is located on the western edge of Manhattan’s Meat Packing District. The 10-story glass and steel tower sits atop a 1930’s five-story masonry base that was a cold-storage facility serviced by the elevated railway that passed through its center. The railway, now redeveloped as the High Line park, operated in concert with the historic building from its construction in 1936 until it was closed in 1980.
Along with its neighbors, The Standard Hotel and Chelsea Market, the High Line Building is one of the primary architectural features along the southern end of the park. The building has a total of 100,000 square feet of interior office space and 8,000 square feet of ground level retail. The park’s passage through the building’s middle now features a covered performance space and access to and from West 14th Street.
The building draws upon the industrial aesthetic of the adjacent Gansevoort Market Historic District, utilizing brick, steel, metal spandrels and factory windows. The solid masonry Depression-era base is juxtaposed with the modern framed glass and steel volume that hovers above it. Glass wedge indentations on the North and South faces of the tower were inspired by the dynamic and angled intrusion of the High Line below. The building’s masonry base, originally designed to carry the weight of a tower, presented structural and planning challenges on the interior. The building core is split in two, with elevators and egress stair to one end and restrooms and a second egress stair to the other end, resulting in a free flow of space that is open through the middle and enclosed with floor-to-ceiling glass. Setbacks at the sixth and penthouse levels provide for outdoor terraces with expansive 360-degree views of Manhattan and Hudson River.