The “Modern“ Bar
The “new Maxburg“, a post-war modernist building located in the heart of Munich, was built by revered architects Sep Ruf and Theo Papst in 1957 to replace the castle once belonging to Bavarian duke Wilhelm V, built in the late 16th century and devastated in the second world war.
It now belongs to the very small assortment of heritage listed modernist buildings of Munich.
This space truly adopts the periodical virtues and ideologies, where clear and functional forms were revived in turn opposing the former and more abundant decorative gestures applied previously and now protected throughout Munich.
Materials such as Brass and textured concrete reinterpret the terrazzo floors and further strengthen the material imprint of the public buildings of that time.
Brass profiles escort the visitors through the multi-layered gastronomical landscape – bar, lounge and restaurant.
These brass veins finally join beyond the bar only to spread out and form the lighting bodies illuminating the entire space in gentle pools of ambience.
The building’s main structural elements are detached from the exterior embraces, and as a result the columns and ceiling were painted umbra-black, an approach practiced originally by Le Corbusier.
The Herzog Bar & Restaurant München ignites a flame, that inspires one to reflect on a magnificent soul of our history.
– Photographer – Ezgi Polat.