Thanks to social media, more people than ever now consume architecture every day through their feeds. However, their attention is fleeting — with millions of architectural ideas flowing across the web, each designer has just a brief moment to make an impact.
This means one image or drawing needs to possess the power to tell a whole story on its own, in seconds. For any designer, producing a viral drawing might just kickstart their career. But what exactly makes an architectural drawing special?
Enter The One Photo Challenge.
The One Photo Challenge is open for entries today, with a Final Entry Deadline of May 1st this year. With 2 grand prizes of $2,500 for students and non-students, plus rewards more to be announced, Architizer’s newest architectural ideas competition poses a simple question:
Can you capture a single photograph that tells a powerful story about architecture?
Architizer’s First Architectural Photography Competition
Your task is simple: Submit one photograph that powerfully communicates a piece of architecture and the experience of those who inhabit it. It can be located anywhere in the world and portray any style of architecture, historic to contemporary.
It can show an individual detail, a whole building or an entire cityscape. As long as it portrays part or all of a building or group of buildings, it is eligible. Remember — the challenge is to tell a story with your image, so think about what narrative your photo communicates.
A Stellar Jury
This exciting competition — Architizer’s first ever dedicated solely to architectural photography — is set to be huge, with a series of influential jurors confirmed to run the rule over your drawings.
Confirmed jurors include:
- Ema Peter, multi-award-winning architectural photographer
- Sebastian Weiss, otherwise known as le_blanc — Instagram’s most popular photographer of minimalist architectural details
- Paul Clemence, renowned architectural photographer and founder of the huge Archi-Photo community, home to almost 1 million followers!
- Murad and Nataly Osmann, creators of the #followmeto project and arguably Instagram’s most famous traveling couple. Murad and Nataly brought architectural photography to a whole new audience with their iconic “follow me” photographs, and with a combined Instagram following of 5.5M, their global influence on the world of travel photography is unparalleled
- Yener Torun, Turkish architect and photographer otherwise known as cimkedi; creator of the world’s most colorful architectural photography series!
- Aldo Amoretti, multi A+Award-winning architectural photographer who took the photo on the cover of 2018 “The World’s Best Architecture” compendium.
- Hufton + Crow, world-renowned photographers Nick Hufton and Al Crow, whose clients include Zaha Hadid Architects, BIG and Heatherwick Studio.
The jury will include many more thought leaders from the world of architecture and photography alike — watch this space for updates.
There will be two prizes of $2,500 given to the winners, as well as the chance to be published across Architizer, making your work visible to a design community of more than 4 million people!
Without further ado, register for the competition today, and begin sifting through your best photographs to prepare your entry. Good luck from all of us at Architizer!
Top image: Snøhetta Pavilion, photographed by Alejandro Villanueva Photography