Kauffman House; Photo: David Glomb/Marmol Radziner
If the soul of American modernism could be marked on a map, there'd be an 'X' over Palm Springs, California. The desert city is a wellspring of architectural design of all scales, from small, sculptural houses and swanky resort clubhouses to the bent-aluminum furniture that sits in them. Landmarks like Richard Neutra's Kauffman House and John Lautner's Elrod House litter the city grounds (and hills), many of which will be on view at Palm Springs Modernism Week, launching this Thursday. To commemorate the event's opening, we thought we'd assemble a brief photographic history of the development of the Palm Springs period.
Raymond Loewy House by Albert Frey, 1947; Photo: Peter Stackpole/LIFE
Kauffman House by Richard Neutra, 1947; Photo: Wikiarquitectura
Palm Springs Tennis Club Addition by Paul R. Williams, 1947; Photo: Julius Shulman/J. Paul Getty Trust, from "Julius Shulman: Palm Springs"
Edris House by E. Stewart Williams, 1953; Photo: Julius Shulman/J. Paul Getty Trust, from "Julius Shulman: Palm Springs"
Leff Residence by Donald Wexler and Richard Harrison, 1957; Photo: Juergen Nogai/Palm Springs Art Museum
Alexander Twin Palms House 2 by William Krisel, 1957; Photo: Julius Shulman/J. Paul Getty Trust, from "Julius Shulman: Palm Springs"
Huddle Springs Restaurant by William F. Cody, 1957; Photo: Bill Anderson/Courtesy Palm Springs Historical Society
The Steel House by Donald Wexler and Richard Harrison, 1962; Photo: Juergen Nogai/Palm Springs Art Museum
Frey House II by Albert Frey, 1963; Photo: Palm Springs Bureau of Tourism
Frey House II by Albert Frey, 1963; Photo: Julius Shulman, from "Julius Shulman: Palm Springs"
Tramway gas station (now Palm Springs Visitor Center) by Albert Frey and Robson Chambers, 1965; Photo via
Sunnylands by A. Quincy Jones; Photo: Julius Shuman and Juergen Nogai
Elrod House by John Lautner, 1968; Photo: Joshua White/Hammer Museum