The interior of a different "F" missile silo, renovated in Texas by Bruce Townsley. Image via Wired.
Are you one of the many Americans worried about nuclear fallout drifting over the ocean from Japan (Yes! Those people exist! They're terrible.)?
Survival Condos serves the niche "luxury survival bunker" market. Their website, which looks like it was generated from a circa-'95 GeoCities template, is brilliant. For example, there's a news feed that shows apocolypse-related news items. Today's include "7.0 Earthquake Hits Myanmar, Planet X Data Mounts, & Comet Elenin Coming Closer than First Predicted."
Let me give you a rundown on the ten most crucial things to be known about Survival Condos:
1) All fixtures will be Kohler or GE Monogram.
2) The silo is one of 72 built Atlas "F" missile silos - some of the strongest structures ever built by humans.
3) Biometric Keyless access.
4) You can buy in half-floor ($900k) or full-floor ($1.75mil) configurations, and you have to pay, in full, immediately upon signing.
5) "Mandatory training and familiarization visits" are required when you've bought.
6) They "want people with good values and we will screen applicants for criminal backgrounds."
7) As an owner, you get access to a webcam showing views of the working site.
8) This: The overall design finishings are "Ultra Modern" except the general store which is "Country".
10) Anticipated completion is 2011, just in time for 2012.
We should stop... We don't want to be left out in the bleak, zombie-infested cold because we made snide comments about "Ye Olde Apocolypse Country Store."
The kitchen of a different "F" missile silo - this one renovated in Texas by Bruce Townsley. Image via Wired.
The previous tenants.
According to the site, the "Atlas "F" Missile Base, considered to be one of the strongest structures built by man, and redesigned it into a "Survival Condo". This redesign provides redundant systems for air, water, food, power, and even septic systems. This "Make over" can be described as "Star Trek Technology meets Survival Bunker". Throw in some James Bond gadgetry and you begin to get the picture."
- Walls 2.5 to 9 Feet Thick
- Monolithic Dome Cap
- Wind Turbine
- Solar Panels
- Hydroponic Food
- Military Grade Security
- Indoor Pool & Spa
- Exercise Facility
- Classroom & Library
- Movie Theater
- Minor Surgery Center
- Biometric Locks
- Digital Weather Station